How To Find The Best Mommy Makeover Surgeon
A mommy makeover, or post-partum restoration as it’s otherwise known, involves multiple cosmetic procedures to restore the pre-pregnancy appearance of a mother’s body.
This often includes work on the abdomen and the breasts – areas that require great precision and quality of care. As such, if you’re considering a mommy makeover then it’s vital to work with a surgeon who specialises in multiple areas of the body.
In this guide, I’ll explain how you can find the best mommy makeover surgeon in your area – regardless of where you’re based in the US. As a plastic surgeon with over three decades of experience, I know what to look for and have advised thousands of patients.
Alternatively, if you’re based around Maryland or Washington then please consider getting in touch to organise a consultation. Without blowing my own trumpet too much, my practice specialises in breast and tummy procedures – the core components of a mommy makeover.
How To Find A Mommy Makeover Surgeon (Four Steps)
Step 1: Identify Your Needs
The best mommy makeover surgeon for you will depend on your needs. So, before you can begin looking for a surgeon, you need to have a clear understanding of your personal goals, expectations, and limitations.
Here’s what you need to think about:
- Your Goals: Understand what you aim to achieve through a mommy makeover. Yes, you want to restore your pre-pregnancy body, but what areas are particularly important? What look are you hoping to achieve? Having clear objectives will guide your conversation with potential surgeons.
- Your Expectations: While it’s natural to desire a significant transformation, it’s crucial to remain realistic about the outcomes. Familiarize yourself with the possibilities and limitations of the procedures, and set realistic expectations. It’ll be important to discuss this further with your surgeon later so it’s worth thinking about now – you don’t want a surgeon who promises you the earth, you want one who is open and honest about what you can expect.
- Your Budget: As there are multiple procedures combined under a mommy makeover, it can be a substantial financial investment. Determine how much you are willing and able to spend. Costs can vary from surgeon to surgeon, so knowing what your budget is will help you filter down and keep costs within your range of affordability.
That said, while staying within budget is important, avoid choosing a surgeon based solely on cost. Sometimes, lower prices may reflect a lack of experience or compromise in quality. Remember, this is an investment in your body and well-being.
- Your Timeline: Post-surgery recovery time varies among individuals and depends on the extent and type of procedures performed. Consider your personal and professional commitments, and plan for adequate time off to ensure a stress-free and smooth recovery.
While some changes are immediately noticeable, the final results of your mommy makeover may take months to materialize as your body heals and adjusts. Understanding and accepting this timeline is essential for maintaining a positive and patient outlook throughout the process.
Step 2: Research Your Local Surgeons
The process of researching and selecting a surgeon demands time, effort, and due diligence.
Ideally, you don’t want to travel too far – no one wants a long journey home after extensive surgery. So you’ll need to look for a mommy makeover surgeon nearby.
Even so, approach this phase with the seriousness it deserves, as the professional you choose will be pivotal to the success and safety of your mommy makeover. Gather as much information as you can, evaluate each candidate, and prepare a list of questions to during a consultation.
Here’s what to look for:
- Personal Recommendations: Begin your search by consulting friends, family, or colleagues who have undergone a cosmetic procedure in the past. If you know someone who has had a mommy makeover, then that’s even better. Who did they work with? How did they find it? Their firsthand experiences and insights can provide valuable information and lead you to reputable professionals.
- Medical Referrals: Consider asking your family doctor or another trusted healthcare provider for recommendations. Medical professionals will often know a specialist in plastic surgery through their day-to-day work, and can vouch for their experience.
- Reviews: Numerous websites and forums are dedicated to plastic surgery, some will even have dedicated sections for mommy makeovers. These platforms often include patient reviews, which can offer an inside look at others’ experiences with specific surgeons. Ensure you are using reliable and unbiased sites to gather this information. A good place to start is by looking at their RealSelf profile (for example, here’s my profile).
- Social Media & Websites: Many surgeons will have a strong online presence through their own website and social media channels. You’ll usually be able to find examples of their work, before-and-after galleries, patient testimonials, and detailed information about their background.
- Board Certification: Ensure your mommy makeover surgeon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS) and the American Board of Surgery. Board certification indicates that the surgeon has undergone extensive training and adheres to strict ethical and medical standards.
- Additional Qualifications: Look for surgeons who have additional training, fellowships, or specialization in procedures relevant to mommy makeovers (breast and abdomen are the main ones to consider, although you may want to work on the face too).
Step 3: Book Consultations
Once you have a list of 2-5 mommy makeover surgeons that are a good fit, based on the criteria above, then you should book a consultation with each of them.
A consultation is typically free and comes with no obligation. It’s a chance for you to meet the surgeon and get to know them. Equally, speaking as someone who is on the other side of the table, it’s a chance for the surgeon to determine if you’re a suitable candidate for surgery – by listening to your needs and advising you with honesty and empathy.
By scheduling consultations with each of your shortlisted surgeons, you’ll have a chance to compare approaches, personalities, and expertise directly. Often, it comes down to who you get along with and trust most.
Here are my four top-tips for a consultation:
- Prepare a comprehensive list of questions beforehand
- Ask specifically about their experience with mommy makeovers – how many times they’ve performed it, their approach, and after-care
- Don’t be afraid to discuss any specific worries or issues you have regarding the surgery, recovery, and results.
- Request to view before-and-after photos of previous mommy makeovers the surgeon has completed. Ask about patients with a similar body type to yourself.
Step 4: Make Your Decision
Choosing the right surgeon for your mommy makeover is a significant decision that should not be taken lightly. After your research and consultations, you will reach a point where you need to make a final decision.
So how should you approach the decision-making process?
First, weigh up the pros and cons of each surgeon. Compare the strengths and weaknesses of each surgeon candidly. Look at their experience, expertise, past results, patient reviews, and your personal comfort level with them.
Second, consider the pre and post-operative care offered to by each. No surgery is without risk, but the right professional will minimize risk with skilled practice and care before and after the procedure.
Third, consider who you feel most comfortable with. Trust in the professional who listens attentively, answers your questions thoroughly and makes you feel at ease throughout the process.
Finally, don’t rush. A mommy makeover is a significant commitment and investment. There’s no need to rush into a decision, even if there is pressure from promotional offers or scheduling concerns. Stepping back for a few days can provide clarity and assurance in your decision-making process.