Breast Augmentation: Questions to Ask During your Consultation
If you are considering breast augmentation, it is important to discuss your options with a plastic surgeon. You will want to make sure your plastic surgeon is knowledgeable, certified, experienced, and to ensure all of the above it is important to ask your surgeon questions upon consultation. Additionally, a consultation will go over your desired results, medical history, etc. During this time, breast implant options will be discussed, as well as technique. Based off your desires, health and body frame one implant type may be better than another, as well as one technique may be more appropriate then another.
What to ask during your consultation for breast augmentation:
1. What are your credentials?
*The only board recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties in the field of plastic surgery is the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Your plastic surgeon should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery as this will ensure he has undergone extensive training and met all standards as deemed by the Board.
2. What plastic surgery societies are you a member of?
*Certain societies such as the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery and the American Society of Plastic Surgeons only accept applicants after they have received certain certification, training and met their society’s standards.
3. What hospitals are you affiliated with?
*Breast augmentation is an outpatient procedure and can be performed in an accredited surgical facility. However, some individuals prefer to have breast augmentation in a hospital. Additionally, in the unlikely hood of an unforeseen event, it is important to know which hospitals in your plastic surgeon has privileges to operate at.
4. If you have not already done so, ask to view before and after photos of breast augmentation patients.
5. What breast augmentation techniques do you perform and how many have you performed for each technique?
6. What techniques do you provide to improve healing if any?
7. Do you offer techniques that utilize instruments that will provide less trauma to the breasts?
8. What does the recovery process entail following breast implants?
9. What medications or technology do you provide to reduce swelling, inflammation, and speed up recovery if any?
10. I am allergic to ______? Will this have an effect on which breast implant I am able to have and or could I have a reaction due to this allergy?
It is important to disclose your full medical history at time of consultation so your plastic surgeon is able to give you the best advice possible based off your needs.
If you are considering breast enhancement surgery, consult with board certified plastic surgeon Dr. Adam Tattelbaum, contact his office today.